Forum Discussion

Bob_C
Contributor
12 days ago
Solved

Search for Comments in a Test Case

Is there a way to search for/export all comments in a group of test cases?

We were thinking about using comments in our test cases for documenting items we may want to look at later, or may need some more clarification.

Having to open each individual test case and looking at comments is tedius and prone to missing comments.

I have seen similar threads on this (some many years old) and it does not appear that there is a way to do this.

How do others do this?

• It seems odd to have the elegance of a comments page but no way to manage those comments other than click into each test case, but I agree with you - this seems to be the only way to find them.  The Server version of Scale had a Test Library reports section and maybe this used to include a report that enabled a view of comments but I'm on the Cloud version and can't check, and if you're on Cloud that doesn't help you solve your issue.

It's a workaround, but you could instead create a custom Multi-line field for test cases, into which your team would add and save comments.  The field would be added into the home tab of a test case and will appear at the bottom section of that page.  You can then add multiple lines of comments, save, generate a report, and export the results into a spreadsheet/tool to filter only on those test cases that contain comments.  Not a very elegant solution but one that does work.

3 Replies

markos
    Occasional Contributor

When I looked for similar way to search or filter test cases, it seemed that Comments was a custom field under "customFields" in the JSON returned from the below API call.

Also, I could not easily find a way to filter on "customFields" directly in the API call. Now I'm exporing importing the data locally and doing offline "chat with data" filtering.

https://api.zephyrscale.smartbear.com/v2/testcases?projectKey=BLAH&maxResults=9

MisterB
    Champion Level 3

It seems odd to have the elegance of a comments page but no way to manage those comments other than click into each test case, but I agree with you - this seems to be the only way to find them.  The Server version of Scale had a Test Library reports section and maybe this used to include a report that enabled a view of comments but I'm on the Cloud version and can't check, and if you're on Cloud that doesn't help you solve your issue.

It's a workaround, but you could instead create a custom Multi-line field for test cases, into which your team would add and save comments.  The field would be added into the home tab of a test case and will appear at the bottom section of that page.  You can then add multiple lines of comments, save, generate a report, and export the results into a spreadsheet/tool to filter only on those test cases that contain comments.  Not a very elegant solution but one that does work.

Bob_C
      Contributor

Thanks Andy.  This does work, but seems a bit clunky to have to add a custom comment field, instead of using the one that is built-in.  This does solve the issue too of making the comments more visible by having them on the main page.