Forum Discussion

kjadhavkunal
Contributor
9 years ago

What method do we use to clear a text from textbox on a same page in Jscript?

- I am using Jscript language for automation scripting

- It is appending a next text but I want to clear other fields before writing any text on a same page.

NisHera
    Valued Contributor

may be you are using Keys('your text')

before that you can use

SetText('')

kjadhavkunal
      Contributor

HI NisHera,

I have tried using SetTex("") method to clear textboxes. It worked out. But I also tried to use SetText("") and Keys("") methods for Textarea idealy it shoul work but it doesnt. Again it appends the text

joseph_michaud

Try using textarea.Keys("^a[BS]")

If that doesn't work, see Alex Karas' solution here

william_roe
    Super Contributor

kjadhavkunaljoseph_michaudNisHera Since moving the 11.31 we've had to use the value setter whenever the keys operation was used immediately after the SetText or we got the "object destroyed" message. There was a breaking change to how the SetText worked since 11.20.

Colin_McCrae
      Community Hero

Personally, I like the solution @joseph_Michaud suggested

Why? Because it's what the user would do. SetText is not.

It also depends on application behaviour. Some applications will be set up to automatically highlight any text already there (to enable easy deletion) on detecting the user entering the field. Whether this is by clicking in, or tabbing in, or whatever. In which case, you may want to emulate that behaviour. By applying Keys or SetText straight to a field, you may not trigger activation/entry behaviour.

(PS .... why do the user name links seldom work properly for me? What am I supposed to type to trigger them?)

william_roe
        Super Contributor

Colin_McCrae wrote:

(PS .... why do the user name links seldom work properly for me? What am I supposed to type to trigger them?)

Colin_McCrae

Are you entering '@" before the user name?