Forum Discussion

svaze74
Contributor
11 years ago

UI Automation if selected, is increasing the GDI objects of AUT

Hi,

When we select UI Automation on Project Properties page for identifying Objects via UIA then GDI objects of Application under test increases.

The no of threads used by the AUT increases too. Seems that TestComplete is making the AUT to hold some of the GDI Objects and threads in order to identify them.

I think this is an issue with TestComplete? Has anyone observed this behavior?

Thanks,
Shrirang

4 Replies

TanyaYatskovska
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Hi Shrirang,

TestComplete uses the UI Automation providers to obtain information on UI elements of your tested application after enabling the UI Automation technology. Thus, TestComplete cannot affect the behavior of how the objects will be recognized.

• Hi Tanya, Do you mean the GDI objects of AUT will keep on increasing if we enable the UIA technology and TestComplete does not have any control over it?

I guess after enabling UIA from TestComplete, the AUT is starting to emit the messages to TestComplete and allowing it to identify the objects. While doing so GDI objects of AUT are being created but not cleaned up by AUT persistently after they no longer required?

This is then needs to be taken care of by AUT.

Thanks anyway,
    Shrirang

TanyaYatskovska
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Hi Shrirang,

Let's clarify the situation: do you mean that the UIA objects are cloned in the Object Browser? Or, do you observe that the number of objects on, say, a panel inside your tested app has increased after enabling UI Automation?

In the first case, it may be a problem in TestComplete, and the issue should be investigated. In the second one, it may be OK as the number of UIA objects depends on your app.

• Hi Tanya,
    Do you mean cloned as duplication of objects in object browser? If yes, as per my observation, its not creating duplicates in object browser. In that case, GDI objects of TestComplete would increase rather than AUT process. And I can see in my task manager window that GDI objects of our AUT process are getting increased.

Thanks,
    Shrirang