Forum Discussion

rafaelcrvs
New Contributor
2 years ago

Track tests cases automated/not automated

Hi,

In addition to creating test cases, I would like to define whether a test case is automated or pending to be automated.

1. What's the best way to do this?

2. What type of report can I generate to view/track automated and pending to be automated test cases?

KB1
    Champion Level 2

Deleted: Commented on wrong topic

ldesiero
    New Contributor

We have implemented a workflow through custom status options. This way we understand if a test is able to be automated (backlog), if the test is being scripted (In Progress) or once its ready we have two  final statuses for tests to be run in our automation cycles vs those done by a human tester.

This allows us to also flip tests between teams. As an example, perhaps application changes require a big rewrite of a script, we can simply have the human testers run the test until scripting is complete and checked in. 

Key factor is to carefully design your workflow before adding appropriate statuses to support.

MisterB
    Champion Level 3

Building further on Idesiero's solution, you could also create a custom field with specific values for this purpose.   The Status field is a nice way to do it if you don't need that field for anything else.

• ldesiero Thanks a lot for the help!

MisterB Supposing I create a custom field (automation status) with two values: automated and not automated. 

Which Zephyr report do you suggest I generate to show my team which test cases are automated and not automated?

MisterB
    Champion Level 3

There are some challenges with reports:

• Customised fields are not shown - you won't see the automation type in your report
    • Results cannot be sorted.  If you opted to repurpose another field (like Environment) that IS displayed in the report, while you could see automation type, they won't be grouped together (although this might still be appealing to you as a solution)

That means your report would need to be two reports: one that lists automated test cases and another that lists test cases 'not automated'.  If you want the report to be specific to a tester you will also want to create two reports per tester.

For a testers to see a list of reports the "Test execution results (list)" report would work.  As an example:

The automated tests report would filter for automated tests, assigned to specific tester.  You can also give your reports names to help with managing and circulating them to testers - that's possible by tinkering with the report URL and changing this section of the code: "&title=REPORTS.TEST_RESULTS_ADVANCED.TITLE", e.g. &title=My Report