Forum Discussion

Bob_C
Contributor
26 days ago
Solved

Test Cases for a Jira 'FIX IN' version

How can I find all Test Cases that will be associated with a certain Jira 'FIX IN' version?

We have a number of Jira issues that are associated with a  Jira 'FIX IN' Version.  Each Jira issue has at least one test case linked to it.   How can I get a test case list based on the issues in each version?  We have 200+ stories (issues) and therefore 200++ test cases.  The next build will address 50+ stories(issues) and I would like to look at only these test cases.

There are 2 use cases that I want for this:

1. Review all of the case statuses to make sure that they are all in APPROVED status
  2. Create a test cycle for this build that encompasses only what is testable, and not items not yet implemented.

We have been able to handle this in the past by manually picking the test cases, but I can see this getting complicated very quickly with the number stories / test cases we have so far.  I am trying to look ahead with managing bug-fix mode in future builds, which will have their own set of test cases linked to each bug.  

• Kudos to Andy for talking through this in a sidebar conversation.

I ended up submitting a help ticket to SmartBear, and did get some feedback.  

I went through the description that you gave and believe that the below steps will help in retrieving the Zephyr Scale Test Cases that are associated with the Jira Issue for a specific fix version.

1. You can use the JQL query first to get all the Jira Issues linked to that specific fix version
    Eg: Project = DEMO AND fixVersion = "FIX IN"
    2. Create and save the above search query as a filter.
    3. Navigate to Reports -> Traceability Report in the Zephyr Scale section
    4. Try to filter by "Issue" and choose the filter that you created above
    5. Choose the Traceability Direction as Coverage -> Test Cases
    6. Generate the report

The report generated will include all of the Jira issues related with that version, as well as the Zephyr Scale Test Cases that are linked to those Jira issues.

This was successful in generating a report that shows all test cases, which helped quite a bit.

However, I was not able to create a test cycle automatically from this list of test cases.  It still would require a manual operation of selecting test cases (and not missing any along the way).  In further communication with SmartBear support, I found that there was not a way to do this directly through their UI, and they suggest that I submitted a feature request.  I submitted this feature request, and am hoping it will get some traction to get it implemented.

1 Reply

Bob_C
    Contributor

Kudos to Andy for talking through this in a sidebar conversation.

I ended up submitting a help ticket to SmartBear, and did get some feedback.  

I went through the description that you gave and believe that the below steps will help in retrieving the Zephyr Scale Test Cases that are associated with the Jira Issue for a specific fix version.

1. You can use the JQL query first to get all the Jira Issues linked to that specific fix version
    Eg: Project = DEMO AND fixVersion = "FIX IN"
    2. Create and save the above search query as a filter.
    3. Navigate to Reports -> Traceability Report in the Zephyr Scale section
    4. Try to filter by "Issue" and choose the filter that you created above
    5. Choose the Traceability Direction as Coverage -> Test Cases
    6. Generate the report

The report generated will include all of the Jira issues related with that version, as well as the Zephyr Scale Test Cases that are linked to those Jira issues.

This was successful in generating a report that shows all test cases, which helped quite a bit.

However, I was not able to create a test cycle automatically from this list of test cases.  It still would require a manual operation of selecting test cases (and not missing any along the way).  In further communication with SmartBear support, I found that there was not a way to do this directly through their UI, and they suggest that I submitted a feature request.  I submitted this feature request, and am hoping it will get some traction to get it implemented.