Forum Discussion

shubhangi
Contributor
12 years ago

TestComplete stuck

Hi,

I am using 8.7(testcomplete and testexecute) for distributed testing.

Somtimes the test run gets stuck where one of the client is in initializing state and others are in synchronising state.

Screenshot attached.

I think, its Xp which is taking time to start TestExecute instance and hence other clients are stuck in Synchronising state.

TestExecute is launches succussfully when tried manually on XP.

The test remains in this state for days, unless we kill it.

Is anyone experiencing same problem and has a silution ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Shubhangi 

10 Replies

gmccord
    Occasional Contributor
    Shubhangi S,

Try these :

• Completely isolate your client network if you have not done that already.

• Turn off firewall on server network connection to the client network and all client ports

• On all network interface drivers turn off : Offloading (there are several), Receive Side Scaling, and Flow Control.

• Access the properties of your network connections : these are the only items which should be checked:

Client for Microsoft Networks

File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks

Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)

• On your server network connection to the clients, increase the Receive TCP/IP buffers to 2,048 or whatever the highest it will go. This will result in less dropped packets.

• In TestComplete, set your Host addresses to their TCP/IP v4 address,not name

More advanced Troubleshooting:

• Install Wireshark, examine packets on your client network interface. Look for bursts of unexpected traffic, duplicate IP addresses, and packet re-transmission requests. If any of those are present, resolve as necessary.

I have yet to see a client communication problem after I implemented these fixes.Of course, your mileage may vary. I was able to "Verify" jobs on 25 clients up to 40 times in a row without a single client getting stuck. 
    aqAnt
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Hello Shubhangi,

We have received your support query, so we will continue working with you via e-mail.

gmccord
    Occasional Contributor
    Yes, same issues here. Frequent hangs with clients.
    aqAnt

Hello Grant,

We have sent you and Shubhangi patches to fix the issues. If the issues reappear, please don't hesitate to contact us via our Contact Support form.

gmccord
    Occasional Contributor
    The support team is awesome!

However, I think the issues -we- are experiencing have more to do with the network than the product. I have been experimenting with network card settings, switch settings and verifying my suspicions through Wireshark. Hopefully, I will be able to write up my findings in a blog. So far, the tweaks I have made have helped.

Just wanted to confirm for the original user that yes - hangs have been seen. Frequent? no. Cause? unknown as of yet to me. Once I can eliminate the state of the network as being a potential cause, then I can turn my attention back to any issues with the product.

This product rocks - I love it :)
    aqAnt

Hello Grant,

Thank you for these valuable recommendations!

Please note that TestComplete 8.70 used RPC to communicate, which means that connections could be established to random ports. Now, TestComplete 9's Network Suite and Service facilities use TCP with fixed ports 6000-6005.

• Thanks Grant,

I have all the machines on same network with firewall set off.

For Network interface, Speed and Buffer is set to 10MB FULL for slaves and 100MB Full for master.

I would try your suggestions and monitor my test and just hope that test dont stuck any more.

Regards,

Shubhangi
  • Hi,

I would like to note an observation here:

When test run is stuck in Synch state, It looks like it is waiting for TestExecute to start on WinXP while TestExecute on all other OSs is up and running.

When We go to TaskManager on XP, I could see 2 or 3 instances of TestExecutes running already.

For all the instances for test hung, I observed WinXp in "initializing" state and others in "Synchronizing" state.

Regards,

Shubhangi

etran
    Occasional Contributor
    I am using TestComplete and TestExecute 8.6. Any chance there is a patch for this version? I believe I am seeing the same thing.

Thanks,

ET
    aqAnt

Hi Shubhangi and Elizabeth,

Unfortunately, we cannot tell you for sure whether you faced a known problem or this is the expected behavior. Please make sure that the problematic slaves meet the corresponding requirements, run your tests only with the problematic slaves and check how it goes.