Forum Discussion

gehrig44
Occasional Contributor
14 years ago

One Name Mapping file to rule them all

So, I am using 1 Name Mapping file for all of my projects.  This seemed like a great idea to me at the time, but I discovered when I save this file it goes through each project saving it indivually.  I plan on having 60+ projects in my test suite, so saving will take a bit of time.  Anyway to get around this?

I rather not have a name mapping file for each project, because making changes to all at once is a bit tedious.

8 Replies

• Hi Edward,

Could you please clarify what you mean by 'it goes through each project saving it indivually'?

Also, please specify exactly which version of the tool you have (Help | About).
    gehrig44
    Occasional Contributor
    TestComplete version 8.10.487.7

Most of the time, if I just change 1 NameMapping unit, my ProjectSuite Test Items screen refreshes a bunch of times after saving.   The more projects I add the more it refreshes.

• Hi Edward,

Thank you for clarification. I was able to recreate this behavior and we will investigate it.
    croberts_2
    Occasional Contributor
    Hi,

Just wondered if a solution was ever found to this as I have a similar problem.  I have a project with 12 sub projects all sharing the same namemapping file which is about 60MB.  It takes ages, about 20min, to save changes to the namemapping file in any project as the changes need to be propagated across each project (saved and then reloaded) , even though they all share the same file...I'm currently on TC 81.0.487.7.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Chris
    tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor
    Another potential work around:  Work with your projects individually rather than within the larger suite.  Only use the larger suite for executing the projects.
    croberts_2
    Occasional Contributor
    Hi Robert,

Thanks for the tip and the quick response, but how can I work with just a project from the suite?  When I try to open a project.mds file, it just opens the entire suite.   Do I need to restructure the project suite files in some way?

Cheers,

Chris 
    tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor
    What I usually do when creating a project is start from a "blank" TestComplete and create a project.  This creates an individual project suite with only that project in it.  When I then want to put that project in another suite, I edit that other suite and "Add | Existing Item" to add the project.

In your case, I'd suggest creating something like a "SandBox" project suite that you can add and remove projects at will so you can work with them in an isolated fashion.  
    croberts_2
    Occasional Contributor
    Thanks for that Robert, that's got my save time down to 30s!  A vast improvement.  Thanks again...