Forum Discussion

rachel_hughes
Contributor
11 years ago

Objects not found when testing in different VMs

I have created tests in TC 10.0.531.7. In a VM running Windows 2008 R8.

I cannot run these tests in Windows 7 as the objects are not being found - also I am unable to map these objects. The object spy is just finding the browser window and not the objects within the window. The tests are failing at the first test - a logon page.

From recommendations from other posts I have increased the Method invoke timeout to 20000 and I've checked that project UI Automation settings and the Default Project Properties > UI Automation settings match in both environments. This is still failing.

Any other suggestions?

16 Replies

Ryan_Moran
    Valued Contributor
    Make sure the extension is still enabled also.

Chrome>Settings>Extensions>SmartBear TestComplete Extension 10.20.852 Enabled = true
  • I have the following installed:

Chrome>Settings>Extensions
    >SmartBear TestComplete extension 10.10.752 Enabled = True.
    Ryan_Moran
    Valued Contributor
    "@Ryan, I see that Chrome extension v. 10.20"

Yes that's interesting. This extensions was upgraded on my machine, but I don't run automated tests on my local machine so I didn't notice. It was also not recognizing chrome objects properly. Despite my best efforts I could not force installation of the lesser version. What is very interesting about this is that only my machine was affected. Our designated Test Complete machine remains at the proper version.
    Ryan_Moran
    Valued Contributor
    Just in case anyone wanted to know. A full uninstall and reinstall of Test Complete did not reinstall the correct extension version. What I ended up having to do was remove all of google's local cache on my machine by removing the:

C:\Users\<yourusername>\AppData\Local\Google

Directory.

Once this directory was gone Chrome reverted to it's initial state and had the proper Test Complete extension installed.

This may fix your issue as well Rachel.
  • @Tanya. The project has never worked on my Windows environment (I abandoned this environment). The problem is now manifesting itself in Windows 2008 R8. I will attach a screen shot of the object browser as requested. Please note - I have raised a support call for this.
    TanyaYatskovska
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Hi Rachel,

Judging by the screenshot, Chrome 34 is installed on your computer. As far as I know, this browser version is still in the beta state. Thus, TestComplete doesn't support it. I suggest that you consider downgrading Chrome and apply settings to prevent Chrome from updating automatically.

@Ryan, good to know your overcome steps. 

Another workaround I know is, in addition to reinstalling TestComplete, you should try reinstalling Chrome.