Forum Discussion

CroakSplat
Occasional Contributor
8 years ago

Useful API Documentation

SmartBear is presumably working diligently at adding comments to their nearly-comment-free, Javadoc-generated API documentation (https://www.soapui.org/apidocs/overview-summary.html). I'm wondering how many [more] years we have to wait for this to be finished? The current version is /nearly/ useless. You...umm, you are working on this, right?

and fwiw, happy holidays

Edited: link now to point to the free-version API rather than the Pro version

7 Replies

nmrao
    Champion Level 3
    I use the API, the same link you pointed, as when it is needed.

Can you please be more specific on your following statement?
    "how many [more] years we have to wait for this to be finished? The current version is /nearly/ useless."

Otherwise, would you post the specific issue that you face?

Am sure, there are many people in the community use SoapUI's API and the details of the issue might help others to know the issue better and to look for possible resolutions.
      CroakSplat
      Occasional Contributor

There should be human-written, descriptive words written for every item in the API docs (or at least all the important items...which is probably all of them). For example, on the base page I linked to before, in the Description column there should be a...umm, what's it called. Oh yes, a description. For every package listed. And when you navigate to a particular class or package, there should be words there, too. Words that help the user understand what all the objects, classes, and methods are for and what they do. Important classes should be well-documented, in particular. For example, https://www.soapui.org/apidocs/com/eviware/soapui/impl/wsdl/testcase/WsdlTestCase.html has only "TestCase implementation for WSDL projects" for documentation. Which I think is no longer even true (I think it's also used for WADL projects, yes?). And the only method that is documented is the moveTestStep method (and even that documentation could be better; what does a positive offset mean? what does a negative offset mean? what happens if you try moving a TestStep by an invalid offset (too large or too small)?).

Basically I just think that it would be nice if the API documentation consistently had content beyond the nearly useless Javadoc auto-generated content.
        nmrao
        Champion Level 3
        Can you quote any software which produces the document in manner that you describe?