Forum Discussion

Silviu_Asandei
New Contributor
16 years ago

SOAPUI - UPLOADING A FILE

Hello,

I want to use SOAPUI, in order to upload a file, and then to receive that file back to me, modified or not. How can I do that?

19 Replies

omatzura
    Super Contributor
    Hi Chris,

exactly how are you attaching/referencing the file from within your message? Maybe you can add a screenshot?

regards!

/Ole
    eviware.com
    Chris_M
    New Contributor
    I tried several things, including using the attachment functionality of SOAPUI.

From the related WSDL:

Screenshot attached to message.

Thank you,
    ~Chris
    omatzura
    Super Contributor
    Hi Chris,

hmm.. the inlining with "file:..." should encode the file correctly.. are you using the latest version? Can you attach or mail me the WSDL so I can debug?

regards!

/Ole
    eviware.com
    Chris_M
    New Contributor
    Hey,

I have version 2.5.1 installed now and I am able to send a .wma file properly as an attachment. The request, however, fail when I tried to add the .wma as an inline file. At any rate, everything works fine if I use the SoapUI attachment functionality.
  • I'm finally getting back to testing and uploading files...  And my setup is failing.

I have a post request that passes in one file.  I specified the one file in the attachments and have branded it as multipart/form-data because my application is checking for that...

I get my one parameter and I get my file in the servlet, but my debug shows...
    item = name=null, StoreLocation=C:\DOCUME~1\AEHREN~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\upload_233f43a7_11ff6bd4b30__7ffd_00000005.tmp, size=16550bytes, isFormField=true, FieldName=baseball.jpg

First off, why is the name null?
    Secondly, why is FormField true?  When using a JSP, formField shows as false?

Both of these values are giving me headaches.  Any thoughts?
  • I tried to use the method of attaching a file to a HTTP request; it all looks nice there is just one problem:
    The HTTP handler receiving the file written in .NET expects the attachment in the HttpContext.Request.Files collection.
    Using fiddler I found out that the content disposition has to include the file name, otherwise it does not show in the collection. Comparing the two raw requests it simply lacks the additional information to work as intended. The desired missing part of the disposition is marked in red.

Is there any way to persuade SoapUI to add missing part in the content disposition?
    ---
    POST https://[s:2u1won7j]URL[/s:2u1won7j] HTTP/1.1
    Content-Type: multipart/form-data; boundary="----=_Part_1_29909270.1251199087858"
    MIME-Version: 1.0
    User-Agent: Jakarta Commons-HttpClient/3.1
    Host: [s:2u1won7j]URL[/s:2u1won7j]
    Content-Length: 4460984

------=_Part_1_29909270.1251199087858
    Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
    Content-Disposition: form-data; name="TransferToken"

c3517df3-53a5-49f2-8700-57b3ddcec952
    ------=_Part_1_29909270.1251199087858
    Content-Type: application/octet-stream
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: binary
    Content-Disposition: form-data; name="MyBinaryFile.EXE" filename="FileName.Exe"
    SmartBear_Suppo
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)
    Hi!

just so I get this right.. exactly how are you attaching/transferring the file?

regards!

/Ole
    eviware.com
    koji15
    New Contributor
    Hi,
    Is this function still available in v4.5.1? It is working on v4.0 Beta2 I have on another machine, with exact same file, but with v.4.5.1, it almost appears that the request is not sent to the server. (Our service returns an error code if Content-Type header is missing, after authenticating the request, and I don't even get that... )
  • Hi,
    I use SoapUI 4.0.1
    If I add a soap attachment, I get something like that as raw request:
    Content-Disposition: attachment; name="MyFile.pdf"; filename="MyFile.pdf"

If I look through rfc, I can't find the parameter name. Only filename exists. So I think, the request is not rfc conform.