Forum Discussion

jg
Occasional Contributor
9 years ago

How to use ASCII characters in a JSON call?

Hello,

I am having trouble using ASCII characters in a JSON call. This is the format of a sample string:

You can see it uses [RS](Record Separator, [GS] (Group Separator), and [EOT] (End of Transmission).

When I copy/paste this string into SoapUI, the program doesn't understand these characters:

According to http://www.theasciicode.com.ar/ : [RS] = Alt + 30, [GS] = Alt + 29, [EOT] = Alt+ 04

However, they do not appear the same way in SoapUI, which causes the test to fail:

Is there a way to make SoapUI read these ASCII characters so the test can be run?

Regards,

Jesse

11 Replies

jg
    Occasional Contributor

I found a  similar string in a notepad file with the correct  ASCII characters. I pasted that string into the program and it worked. The ASCII characters show up as a blank space in the program, but it reads the string correctly. So my problem is partially solved.

However, I would still like to be able to enter these characters at-will and not have to paste them from another document. If there are any knowledgable people that have a solution, please post and I will mark the answer for others to see.

Regards,

Jesse

rupert_anderson
    Valued Contributor

Hi,

I don't have anything to test against, but have you set the encoding in the TestStep properties:

Does this do any good? Thought UTF-8 might allow the characters...

Regards,

Rupert

jg
      Occasional Contributor

Rupert,

I'm trying to find that menu you linked. The closest thing I could find is this:

Test>Show Test Case Editor> Properties

However I'm pretty confident that isn't where you are. Could you explain how to navigate to that menu?

Regards,

Jesse

rupert_anderson
        Valued Contributor

Hi Jesse,

Its the TestStep's properties, highlight the REST Request TestStep then see the Request properties bottom left.Here's another screen shot:

Hope it works,

Rup

jg
      Occasional Contributor

Rao,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately Using Native L&F does not fix my problem. The characters still read as either blank spaces or question marks.

Jesse

nmrao
        Champion Level 3
        Can you copy the text here? So that I can try? Is it possible to attach screen host after your changes?