Forum Discussion

Liberty_Informa
Regular Contributor
12 years ago

- missing response / garbage collected -

Hi

There are certain tests when they work in the soapUI tool however they fail when we run them through home written tool which we use for automated tests.

The error which we see in the log is

----------------- Messages ------------------------------
java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out

---------------- Response --------------------------
- missing response / garbage collected -

We can make out that this error is due to insufficient socket or testcase timeout value.

The existing socket timeout value is 90000. We also tried adding same value for test case timeout but in vain.

The primary difference between tests running in the tool and through automated framework is that, in tool I may be merely running one test project at a time however automated framework runs lot of projects one after another keeping some time interval between two projects. I think soapUI gets exhausted with these many runs.

Is our understanding correct? What can we do to overcome this error on our automated test framework?

Thanks.

4 Replies

SmartBear_Suppo
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)
    Hi,

I'm sorry for the slow response - this thread was lost in the forums.

I'd like some more information in order to investigate this problem. Does this issue occur every time you run the tests with your automation framework, or only occasionally? Is there any observable pattern to the issue, such as the tests always failing on the second project, or anything similar?

One suggestion is to go into Preferences -> HTTP Settings and check the "Close connections after request" box. If that doesn't work, try going into the TestCase options and uncheck the "Maintain HTTP session" checkbox. Let me know if that helps or not.

Regards,

Arian
    SmartBear Sweden
    Liberty_Informa
    Regular Contributor
    Hi Arian,

This does not occur every time but occasionally. I think the test suite which takes more time due to number of errors, it happens in that suite. Though I do not have any pattern observation to comment upon firmly.

The suggestions that you made:

Preferences -> HTTP Settings and check the "Close connections after request" isn't it happen at the test suite level? I see connection closed messages in the log. Anyway we are giving a try with this option.

The second suggestion that "Maintain HTTP session" is already in unchecked state.

Thanks for the reply.
    SmartBear_Suppo
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)
    Hi,

If you could send us a sample project and a script similar to what you use to run several testSuites in sequence, we can try and diagnose the problem.

Let us know if you can send us that.

Regards,

Renato Athaydes
    SmartBear Software