Forum Discussion

michael_maiolo
New Contributor
10 years ago

Client GUI - upload only files that have changed since last upload

In the CodeCollab Client GUI, whenever I add changes to an Existing review, by default all modified changes are selected for upload. In many cases only some files have been changed since the review was originally created. Is there a way for the client to automatically recognize which files have actually changed since the last upload?

Otherwise it can be very inconvenient to have to manually examine each file and remember which ones should actually be uploaded. I could, of course, always upload all files - but that is even more inconvenient because reviewers always need to roll up all changes, and they can't easily tell what's actually been changed between uploads.

Thanks in advance!

2 Replies

• Hi, 

Thank you for your post. I am not sure what SCM you are using but I will explain how "upload changes" works in Collaborator. When you upload changes, Collaborator communicates with the SCM to get the last changes against last commit. We upload the list of changed files against last commit. 

If you do a second round of changes without a commit, then you try to upload changes, collaborator gui will still display list of all changes against the last commit (not against the previous changes).

The only visual difference you will see after the upload. When you open the review in the Web UI, you will see in the "Material Section"\ "Status" column, the number of upload. (number rounded with an arrow) 0 for first upload, 1 for second upload and so on. 

So technically, uploading all the changed files won't affect the review because we exclude them automatically for the user. If you are looking for separating those last changed files in a separate changeset/changelist in the Web UI, that can be resolved on the SCM side. 

Please feel free to write back should you have any further questions or you can send us email to support@smartbear.com

Best,

• Thanks for your reply and explanation. I'm using TortoiseSVN.

My question concerns what happens when you say "uploading all the changed files won't affect the review because we exclude them automatically for the user".

Are you saying these files do not get uploaded (and will not appear in the Web UI) at all? That would be ideal.

In my case files that have not changed since the last upload are still uploaded and their upload number is updated. To me uploading all changes is inconvenient because users can't tell what files are modified or not between uploads, forcing them to look at files they shouldn't need to. 

Is this the expected interaction/behaviour? I was hoping this could be configured in some way to avoid this problem.